Saturday, April 27, 2013

FO: La Jupe Chardon Dijonnaise

 Do not be fooled by that patch of sunlight - it is only 7 degrees Celsius out here and I am about to freeze!
This is the Chardon skirt by Deer and Doe which I began sewing over two weeks ago.
Then life intervened.
FL and I have both been under the weather.  I am much better now, but he is still coughing himself inside out. Sigh.
Anyway...
 I have a new skirt! Hooray!
  
Stats:
Pattern: Chardon skirt by Deer and Doe, size 38
Fabric:  Gorgeous mustard linen, gifted to me by my dear blog-pal Jessica.
She made a skirt (which I can't find on her blog - tsk!) and sent me the leftovers because she knew I was having a major mustard moment,  Thank you, thank you, thank you - it's perfect!
Other: Grey and white striped bias binding from Frumble Fabrics which I used to finish the waist facing and inside the hem. An invisible zip.  One of my "Persuasion" quote labels.
Back waist before folding the facing to the inside
 Process:
I was determined not to rush this project and took my time to finish all the raw edges and topstitch the pleats.
Saying that, I got confused about which view I was making and had to unpick a couple of pleats to insert the bow at the back.
Bow?
Oh yeah - I almost forgot to show you the best part!


Isn't that the cutest back waistband you ever saw?!
(Humour me.)
I wanted to make a skirt that was work-appropriate, but didn't want to suck all the joy out of this sunny fabric.  The bow belt feature sang out to me when I first spotted this pattern... and it also does a great job of covering up a dodgy "invisible" zip insertion!
This was the first time I used the special invisible zip foot attachment on my Bernina, and it went a bit wonky right at the top.  Just as well I went for this view, eh?!

Verdict?
I love it!
I prefer high-waisted skirts and was on the look out for a new twist on that style after making a slew of Gingers and Kellys.
The Chardon is wider and more shapely than either of those, giving it more movement.  This linen is the ideal weight to give body to the pleats without causing bulky seams.  I used the same material for the side-seam pockets and they hang really nicely.
I decided not to line it, after all the problems I had with my Kellys.  I really must make or buy an underskirt / slip.  It looks wonderfully crisp right now, but what will it be like after a day at the office?

Will I make more of these?
Oh yes!
I have some alarmingly watermelon-coloured linen in the depths of the stash that may have found its vocation.
But I am equally tempted to make a plain black everyday staple of a skirt, with belt loops rather than a bow.
And I may need to be physically restrained from buying some metallic-finish aquamarine denim to make the contrast-hem version using the reverse of the fabric - ooh yeah!

28 comments:

Marie said...

Gorgeous skirt! I love the bow surprise at the back and I adore it with that blouse! Lush, lush, lush!!!

Tabatha Tweedie said...

Beautiful! Love the style and the colour and it looks great with that blouse.

Kirsty said...

A wonderfully happy make!

unlabelled clothes said...

Lovely outfit - especially the bow detail.

Gail said...

Another fantastic make! I really thing mustard is "your" color. But you must do the other 3 you mentioned, especially the aquamarine!

kbenco said...

It is a fabulous skirt, such a great colour. Wishing you some sunshine to go with your skirt.

charlotte said...

That is a lovely lovely pattern, looks so great made up. Love the colour choice too :)

Cattyrox said...

It's gorgeous! I love the Jane Austen quote label, too. Oh to have quote labels like that!

Scruffybadger said...

Oh yes! That is one cute skirt in mustard! I love the bow and look forward to making mine with a now, and then there's the contrast too...it's such a great pattern, I've worn mine a few times now and agree that a work appropriate one ( for me not denim) is called for!!

Scruffybadger said...

Sorry you've been under the weather, hope you are getting back on track too. As Kirsty said, this is a happy piece for me made may!!

Ashley Brett said...

Gorgeous skirt and the bow belt is adorable! :)

ravelledsleeve said...

Gorgeous skirt! Your mustard-yellow skirts have made me very tempted to add some mustard to my wardrobe.

Stevie said...

Beautiful! I wasn't really into Chardon originally but I think you've changed my mind! It'll look fab in watermelon! Hope you and FL are feeling better soon! x

indigorchid said...

The length of that skirt looks very nice on you! Also - loving your shoes! Nice, nice, nice!

Laura Sinclair said...

"Half agony, half hope" labels? You are officially my hero! May need to steal this idea. Sorry. ;-)

Oh, and I love the skirt too. Hope you and FL are feeling better.

Helen said...

This is beautiful! I love it! I wondered if it was different enough from the Kelly to justify it's purchase, but sounds like it probably is. I love the colour and you show how mustard CAN be wearable!

Also, I love your blouse!

jessica said...

LOOOOOVE!!! So gorgeous! The bow detail at the back is perfect, what a cheerful, work appropriate skirt!!! (Love it when those happen! Can I talk you into making a scooter pencil skirt? :-P) Watermelon linen, yes! Black, for work - yah, sure, why not? If you ever decide to make your own slips, I can see you having great fun with that - shocking pink, teal, tangerine ...

Hope FL feels better soon!

Donna Hensley said...

It's gorgeous - a perfect outfit!

Carolyn said...

Seriously cute! I love everything about it :)

pennylibrarian said...

Definitely cuts the mustard!

clippedcurves said...

Could have fooled me that it wasn't warmer with a bright skirt like that! Lovely make.

Franca said...

ooh mustard! Very nice!

Lynne said...

Ooo! This is lovely, and the colour is fabulous!

Stitch Parade said...

What a great skirt! I got this pattern in the mail a couple of weeks ago and promptly forgot all about it. Seeing your wonderful make has reminded me of it and of the perfect fabric in my stash. Must.go.sew.now.

Nicki said...

I love it, especially the colour. you look very "spring-y" even if the weather isn't!

Roobeedoo said...

Thank you so much everyone!
:)

velosewer said...

You look great. This style and colour is awesome. I've got you back on my radar again.

acharmofmagpies said...

I'm so horribly behind on your blog! It's because I like to comment so I can ooh and ahh over your amazingness, but I do most of reading on my phone on the bus which is not conducive to commenting so I've been saving it up for the desktop. It's blustery and cold here so I've got my hot meal and your blog to while away the evening.

And I must say this skirt was a lovely thing to start with! It looks great on you and the combo with that blouse is fabulous!