Sunday, November 11, 2012

FO: La Faisane / Paysanne d'Airelle

Bonjour!
J'ai fini coudre la blouse Airelle.

Le tissu est imprime avec les faisans et je suis une paysanne.  Je ne peux pas resister a jouer avec les mots!

 Hello!
I finished sewing my Airelle Blouse.
The fabric is printed with pheasants and I am a peasant.  I cannot resist playing with words!
The Airelle is very versatile and can be worn in many ways:

 Innocent log-gathering style.
 Cheeky leaf-kicking style.
 Suitable-for-the-office style.
Stats:
PatternDeer & Doe Blouse Airelle , size 36
Fabric:  Vintage Viyella wool / cotton mix, 1 metre of pheasant print, 80cm of navy / white pin dot, both from the same seller on ebay.  Total cost = £12.65
Other: Interfacing for collar and cuffs, thread - all from stash.

Process:
Absolutely straightforward. 
I cut out the size I thought would fit and it does.  It is possibly a little wide across the front neck, but I like it.  There is no strap-exposure, which would be the only worry.
I used pheasant-print for the body and cuffs and dot-print for the sleeves and collar.  This was the only combination I could make work with the available fabric.
There was no instruction to gather the sleeve-tops but I found it necessary to make them fit.
And I decided to sandwich the sleeve edges into the cuffs rather than leaving a visible seam.
Other than that?  Sewn as written.

Verdict?
I really like it!
I was slightly worried that the print was too "hunting, shooting, fishing" and I kept wondering if my remnant fabrics had another life as a pair of Hooray Hamish's pyjamas.
So I decided to try out a few different outfits.  I like it best with the shorts and a narrow belt.
And it works well with the gold cord skirt too.  They balance each other well.
But the tweedy skirt may be too conservative.  I am straying into Royal Deeside with that look.
I am a Donside girl!
(For those who don't know, Aberdeen is built between two rivers:  the Dee and the Don.  The Dee to the South is where the Queen lives.  The Don to the North is where I live.  I am a peasant.)

31 comments:

Sabs said...

I agree it looks best with the shorts but I not-so-secretly really love it with the tweed skirt...Reckon it looks more Country Manor than Royal Palace. You pull it off rather well, for a peasant!

Kat said...

Such a cute blouse! I love the polka dot sleeves and collar. Like you, my favourite way you have styled it is the shorts and belt combo.

Mela R. said...

It's darling! And like you said, so versatile. I love when a garment plays well with others :)

Sadie said...

Gorgeous blouse - I love the pheasant print and it looks really nice with the polka dots.

sulkycat said...

Lovely blouse - love it with the shorts the most too.

Emilie LG said...

Wonderful blouse !
I love how you use those 2 fabrics together, it's really beautiful.

Roisin Muldoon said...

I think this is really cool and not at all Hooray Hamish - and you've managed to create a bird-print garment that skirts the Hipster Nonsense problem! So I say hats off to you, Roobeedoo. I particularly like it with your tweed Kelly skirt.

sabrina said...

elle est très sympa cette version automnale de ta blouse!

Tamsin said...

great combination of fabrics makes a beautiful blouse - lovely. I particularly like it with the mustard skirt.

Gail said...

Je l'aime bien! In no way does it look like you were stash-diving: these fabrics look like they were made for each other and for this blouse. And I love all three outfits you made with it. I'm feeling a little jealous!

Donna said...

Adorable!

La Couture Rose said...

Très sympa ! et atypique avec ces faisans ! ;)

Jane said...

Love the dots and pheasant combination, and all the outfits are great. Somewhere in this house is a Viyella blouse in the same print with a red background!

Scruffybadger said...

Une paysanne tres chic! ( sorry if misspelt, I suddenly couldn't remember!)
I love everything about it and DO really like it with your tweed Kelly skirt too, but it does rock with cowboy boots and shorts with that skinny belt. The fabric choices are adorable and look perfect as a pairing, and what a cute blouse style it is too!! Now is the time for Christmas list making, this could well be on mine....

Lynne said...

It's gorgeous! I love the two different fabrics, and they go together so well; and the collar is fab. I also love your camera necklace. :)

Kirsty said...

Roo it is just perfect. The materials work magically and I love it with the shorts (and your hat is adorable). I must buy this pattern.

nessie (deer&doe) said...

Your Airelle is beautiful ! I love how you combined these two prints, it's gorgeous and you really rock it out :D (I seriously consider making one with contrasting sleeves now ^^)

Anonymous said...

The blouse is gorgeous...but I think I'm in love with your hat

Pennie

Marie said...

Eeep, love everything about this make! I too think it looks best with the shorts and skinny belt, but it looks great paired with the other skirts too! What a versatile and cute blouse!

Mary in TN said...

What a cute blouse! Looks great with the shorts, but I like it with the skirts too.

Emily said...

Gasp, I LOVE it! The first pic (with the shorts) is my favorite - to me, the neutrals make the blouse really stand out. I feel like the mustard cord overpowers it just a bit so you miss the nice details. But I LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

Anonymous said...

I think that is one of the cutest items you have shown us. Clever you to use such an unusual print, too, and to make it work so well.

velosewer said...

I like how this top has turned out. Super cute and really handy too.
I couldn't tell whether you are a Don or Dee side girl in those outfits.

indigorchid said...

This came out great! I think those two fabrics work wonderfully together - balance, and ahh! Very nice. Love the print (not at all hunter-ish!)

shivani said...

I love this. The mix-match prints work so well together and are perfect for this blouse. It looks like it will go really well with a number of other bottoms too.

Anonymous said...

So so beautiful !
Where did you find this such amazing fabric ??

Mélanie.

rosyragpatch said...

Lovely blouse. Those prints go together really well. I like the hat too.

jessica said...

I really love it too! The print combination is very eclectic in a nice, quirky, I've got character, carefree sort of way - one of those looks that says: yep, I'm confident about my personal aesthetic! I like all 3 ways you've styled it :-).

Sarahel said...

Really lovely. The mix of prints is inspired, and works perfectly. Congratulations - I'd never have had the confidence/vision to do it.

acharmofmagpies said...

This is fabulous, and look how many things it goes with - they'er all brilliant combinations! Very stylish. And the fabric combo is awesome, well done!

Roobeedoo said...

Goodness me - so many lovely comments! I must make more! ;)