Saturday, October 13, 2012

FO: The Caravan Curtain Renfrew


This is the project that kept me sane this week!

It is our old friend the Renfrew top by Sewaholic, this time made up in a printed cotton jersey which comes perilously close to looking like a curtain from a caravan in the 1970's.

Somewhere on this blog there is a photo of me in 1981 sitting in front of this very curtain...

Stats: 
Pattern:  Renfrew by Sewaholic, View A in size 2, with slightly shortened sleeves
Fabric:  One yard of cotton jersey from Girl Charlee for $5.95 plus shipping (well worth it for 3 yards - this is the last piece from my order)
Collar:  Cream lace with a heavy soft cotton feel - a present from the lovely Scruffy Badger.  Thank you again Winnie! :)
 
Process:
The jersey wasn't nearly as stretchy as the fabric I used for my previous two Renfrew tops.
I was worried it wasn't going to fit, and it does look rather snug across the upper chest in these pictures, but it is still wearable.
Attaching the collar was slightly stressful - I used the vari-overlock stitch on my Bernina and it wasn't moving smoothly through the machine, but kept bunching up.  I should have increased the stitch length but I battled on, with the result that it is slightly higher on one side than the other.  But who is going to notice that?!
 




Verdict?
I fully expected this to be a disaster.  The print scared me, the lace fought me, and I was using the process as therapy through an emotional week of battered self-esteem.
But I love it!
It is crazy in a good way.
It looks great with my dark denim Kelly skirt (as most things do!) and I have some orange tights (not quite visible in this picture) that tie the whole outfit together.
Hooray!
I have another long-sleeved top to wear!


25 comments:

Marie said...

Roo, I love this so much! The print is awesome and that collar is such a cute touch! I hope you wear it loads and loads...if not, send it my way please ;o)

beate said...

beautiful top - and exactly the right style and colors for you!!!!!!!
the unexpectet things are best :-)

Gail said...

This is so cheerful! Just adorable!

shivani said...

beautiful - and it really suits you. (I didn't think of caravan curtains.) Love the collar - it really transforms it - I wouldn't have guessed that it was a Renfrew!

Mary in TN said...

Awesome top! I don't see anything wrong with the lace placement. You've got great color sense as the blue in the top really goes well with both the skirt and sweater. Love the way the sweater balances the whole outfit.

Scruffybadger said...

You are a genius roo! What a fabulous mix of fabric and lace on our much loved Renfrew!! I'm thrilled to see the collar being used so creatively, and you've really made something that delights! Looking fab with Kelly too. Hoorah!!

Linda C said...

That is a beautiful top. It has very elegant look. The lace collar set it off so well, I love the orange tights. Another triumph for you!

LindaC

Sarah Rooftops said...

I love it! The print is just gorgeous!

didyoumakethat said...

Gorgeous! I think the fit looks perfect, and I never would have (and stil can't) detect one collar being higher than the other.

Juliet said...

This top is lovely! And the curtain analogy only comes up if you really think about it, but it is so perfect with the lace and your Kelly skirt. Am off to Girl Charlee now to see what I can dig up in the way of awesome prints!

Donna said...

I love that look - definitely a winner :)

Kirsty said...

The whole outfit is superb. Just gorgeous.

The Foggy Knitter said...

Fabulous top :)

Judith said...

Looks super on you - great matching of the fabric for a Tenfrew! And the collar gives a feature near you face. Definitely a keeper...

Lynne said...

This is fabulous! My love for a 70s print is immense, and this fabric is great. And I love the lacey collar. :)

Alessa said...

Heh, what an awesome print! The Kelly skirt and lace collar really ground it. Great outfit!

christinelaennec said...

I love that blouse and the outfit. And like the others, I can't see anything wrong with the collar.

Jane said...

Curtains? Therapy? You made it to pull yourself together : )

It's a lovely top. I never fail to be impressed with your sewing skills.

Mela R. said...

What a great way to jazz up a Renfrew! Your shirt is ace! I totally forget I have lace collars that I can use to jazz up my makes. A must do.

acharmofmagpies said...

Fun, playful, zesty, yet totally grown-up. Magical combination!

sylkotwist said...

Perfect! Suits you down to the ground. Nothing wrong with caravan curtains. If I could find some unwanted funky ones I'd be making a top just like yours!

velosewer said...

Hooray Roo. It worked like a charm.

Sølvi said...

That´s one very pretty top! I really love the print, and teamed together with the Kelly skirt it´s just perfect. Oh, love the lace too! :-)

jessica said...

I love it! The print plus lace is an inspired combination.

Susan said...

Ooh how great -- I made a Renfrew out of this exact same fabric at almost this exact time! I love your lace collar!