Sunday, September 09, 2012

FO: Kelly Skirt for Every Day


Oh hello again!
Another weekend... another Kelly skirt!
This time it's the dark denim version I have been imagining all along.
I have a thing about denim skirts.  I have had at least one in my wardrobe every year since 1978.
This one is most like the 1982 version, except it was "prairie style" with a flounce at the bottom.  Same abalone shell buttons though!

I am hopeful that this one is smart enough to wear to work, because it is my dream of an everyday skirt:  simple, practical, goes with everything...


And this time the pleats are hanging nicely, the lining is not causing a puffball-effect... and I have finally had a haircut - hallelujah!

Stats:
Pattern:  Kelly Skirt MN2201 from Megan Nielsen, size XS.
Fabric:  One metre of Japanese denim from Our Patterned Hand, £16.50. Expensive? Yes, but it is truly lovely stuff - soft and drapey enough for a dress or a shirt and in a really rich deep indigo blue.
I lined it with bog standard dark grey polyester from the stash.
Buttons:  Nine shell buttons found on eebaay, from a packet of ten, about £2.

Process?
Straightforward sewing.  I know what I am doing with this pattern now, and I just got on and did it!

Only one thing to note, about the buttonholes.  I sewed them all vertically.  When I made my print version, I ran the top two horizontally to allow room to breathe / eat lunch.  That was a mistake.  They shift around and annoy me.

And on the topic of buttonholes - I finally used the correct presser foot on my Bernina machine and it was so much easier to see what I was doing!  All these years, I have been using the wrong foot - duh!

Verdict?
Fab, fab, fab!  Exactly what I wanted!  Wardrobe gap plugged!  Now I just have to be persuaded to wear something else occasionally...

PS:  Don't forget to enter my pattern Pyramid giveaway- you have until Friday 14th at midnight!

18 comments:

Gail said...

Perfect!

sylkotwist said...

Hang on, stripy top, denim skirt, opaque tights and are they your lovely Fly shoes I can see? This is my dream outfit (has been since about 1990), I love it! The denim is now on my wish list, well done!

Jane said...

That Japanese denim is on my wish list too! This is lovely Ruth, definitely my favourite of your many Kelly skirts and probably my favourite of ALL the Kelly skirts I've seen. It's perfect and I'd wear it every day too if it were mine. May have to shamelessly copy it stitch for stitch....x

The Foggy Knitter said...

That's a brilliant skirt, until you mentioned it I wouldn't have known it was denim, really smart and beautifully sewn.

Marie said...

This really is fab, fab, fab!!! Each one of your versions of this skirt makes me need the pattern even more ;o)

agirlinwinter said...

Gorgeous skirt and just the kind of thing I'd wear myself. It looks smart, comfortable and stylish!

christinelaennec said...

That is a fantastic skirt. And the entire outfit, actually... Practical, goes with everything, stylish, and it looks like it's very soft as well.

Lynne said...

You're definately making the most of this pattern, and I can see why! I am still resisting buying it, but I am so tempted! I, too, love a denim skirt; in my opinion a wardrobe is not complete without one. Your's is fab! :)

Melizza said...

The Kelly skirt looks so good in denim. The fabric really shows off the pretty pleats. Another great make!

sewbusylizzy said...

I love it!!! I love this pattern, yes it's simple but it's a joy to sew and makes such a beautiful skirt. Lovely!!!
I've been thinking about a third version but with heavy duty press studs... I've just been scared of the hammering business... I might overcome that fear soon...0

Kirsty said...

Agree with earlier comment: denim kelly skirt, stripey and stockings - dream outfit!!!

Unknown said...

I love a good denim skirt and this is the best! You almost make me want to dust off my sewing skills....if only I had your talent. I love this outfit!

Law said...

Ooh i like! this is defintely my favourite version of yours so far!
I'm about to make a Kelly in chambray but am a bit worried about those back pleats. Do you think the type of fabric affects how they hang?

Sarahel said...

I echo the dream outfit call

Janine said...

I think your wish has come true with this skirt. good to see this pattern has come good.

shivani said...

This is the perfect skirt. It looks amazing in the japanese denim (and you have no idea how hard it is for me not to instantly buy some for myself!). I think I defintely want to try something similar with the Wiksten Tulip skirt (which is basically the same skirt, but without pockets) - I think it's a perfect wardrobe staple.

The Kelly pattern looks great on you.

Scruffybadger said...

Oh I'm sorry I've been away, but what a joy to come back to...how awesome is this if it is " an every day" skirt....looks fab, and am so glad you are getting your money's worth out of your pattern. There's something very youthful in an acceptable math way about it...love it

Evie Jones said...

Just the most amazing outfit! It's perfect and you've got that skirt nailed! Stunning construction!