Saturday, August 25, 2012

FO: Quirky Quilty Kelly Skirt MN2201

Oh dear - I may have built your hopes up too high with my "inspiration" post!

I couldn't stay away from my Kelly skirt pattern, so Wednesday evening saw me slicing into this weird quilted lace to make myself a quirky quilty party skirt.  Thursday evening saw me storming ahead with the stitching.  Hark at me - I sew in the evenings!


Give that girl some lipstick please!
This skirt could be a triumph or a bland puffy beige disaster.   The colour makes me look completely drained without lipstick, hence lots of headless photos! The quilting supports the shape of the skirt... though it has definite "Does my bum look big in this?" potential.  I imagine it would look pretty wild if styled hard, in the manner of Marc Jacobs Fall 2012.  Oh yes, with one of those huge hats, definitely! 

Does my bum look big in this?!
The fabric is some sort of synthetic sandwich:  spam-beige lace on top and grey/green slippery lettuce stuff underneath, that glistens in the light.  Hmmm... like a snail trail...  It is the sort of stuff The Mother of The Bride might make a pencil skirt out of, or a Best Man might have as a waistcoat.
No, I really don't know what I was thinking when I bought it.

The quilting seems to have happened in two operations, so there was a strange overlapping stitch effect right down the centre of the piece.  This meant that I couldn't just fold it in half down the middle in order to "cut on the fold".  So I ended up using the whole length of my 2 metre piece, but not the whole width.  Stash-busting points galore!
Under artificial light - strange glowing green-ness!
Note to self:  stop buying fabric online on a whim late at night!

Stats:
Pattern:  Kelly Skirt by Megan Nielson, MN 2201, size XS
Fabric:  2 metres of quilted lace at £6 per metre from Croft Mill and a scrap of stashed lining for the pockets
Buttons:  Vintage from Clover Crafts and Curios at Ebay, 8 for £3

Process:
Straightforward sewing.  Having made this pattern before, I knew what I was doing.

This time, I cut the waistband longer than indicated for my size, and I needed all of the extra length, which makes me think it was not just a fluke last time when I struggled to make it fit the top of the pleated skirt.  I recommend you add a couple of cm to be safe - you can always cut off the excess.

I didn't line it, but I think it needs a slip underneath.  This fabric is strangely sculptural and yet see-through in strong light!

Verdict?:

The funny thing is... despite all my griping about the weird fabric, it is a really fun-to-wear skirt.

I would love to balance its shape with a big hat and a velvet bell-skirted coat with a big furry collar!

The rear view  is a bit scary and makes me doubt my plan to use chunky corduroy, but I will probably go for it anyway.

So yeah - a second successful Kelly Skirt!  Entirely different from the first, probably to be kept for parties and evenings out.  So I still need to make some practical everyday versions.  Strike while the mojo is hot!

FOOTNOTES:

The Inspiration
How Marc Jacobs sent a skirt down the catwalk:

from ohstyles.com


from The Sartorialist

The Distillation
How it looked by the time it reached the retailer for £740:  images from Matches website.


What it has in common with my skirt:
High waist, pleat placement, fabric that looks like it would stand up by itself, overall tulip silhouette.
Other than that?  Not a lot!  ; )


19 comments:

Rachel-Lou said...

hmmmm, whilst I do love those buttons, and they look nice on the skirt. I do think that contrast buttons would make the skirt, well.. less beigey..

This is however just my thoughts and it should be known that I have an intense love for contrasting buttons

Kirsty said...

When you are on a winner stick with it!! That fabric looks so interesting. You must get knitting a little green wrap (MJ style!).

Anonymous said...

I must say I love this skirt!! Its fun, stylish and completely on trend. The beige is not a bother and as someone who has reached ' a certain age' lipstick or scarf is almost mandatory. Again Love it!!

Gail said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gail said...

I love it!

Kirsty said...

Oh and I forgot to say - how lovely is your bird out of a cage necklace!

Didyoumakethat said...

I really like this version! I love anything a bit structural. I think you're being too down on the beige aspects. Doesn't this mean it will go with EVERYTHING? You say beige, I say neutral!

Lynne said...

Oh my goodness, I absolutely love this!! It's interesting to read your thoughts on the fabric, because it looks gorgeous. I also love your necklace, and your bum does not look big in it!

christinelaennec said...

I think this skirt is great - very fun. A good, quirky spin on retro. You should definitely make yourself one of those huge hats. And also, please recognise that you are so slender that your bum does not look big.

Jenna said...

I love your skirt! I bought some of this fabric too but have not decided what to do with it! I was thinking the Alma blouse...not sure now!

Linda C said...

I do agree- make yourself one of those big hats. You could definitely carry it off. Would FL like it? Most guys actually do like hats, especially big ones.

beate said...

oh ja! great skirt!
an a little volume looks good on you........
i love this pale colors, sometimes i wear them from heat to toe with only a little bit of black or red. it is the lot of black what makes you looking drained.

Annie @ knitsofacto said...

Another 'love it' from me, and you look fab in it, from all the angles. Like the first commenter I'd be interested to see a version with contrasting buttons, a different look from the same skirt maybe?

Adele said...

VERY cool! I love it, you should wear it every day! - and what a great excuse for a fab new hat!

Carolyn said...

Omigosh, I absolutely ADORE your skirt!!

jessica said...

I really like it. I think it looks totally wearable on a daily basis (the saving grace of beige, no? also, I personally like the non-contrast buttons because it goes with more this way ... unless you stayed in the same color family, like brown. Even then ...) I never, ever would have thought of pairing that fabric with that pattern, but it works!

In my experience with boxpleated skirts, having boxpleats in the back in general is quite tricky. Works best with a softer fabric where the pleats sort of fall open. If it was me trying to make this skirt in a chunky corduroy (super cute!) I'd try to convert the pleats out of the back. Maybe make it into a 4-paneled back and make each one a triangular wedge (to spread the increase in width across the back, it doesn't hang quite the same when it all comes at the sides if you know what I mean) or even just add a CB seam and do that. The other option I'd consider is converting the box pleats into regular pleats (i.e. 4 pleats instead of 2 boxpleats) but I think you'll still have the same general problem in a stiff fabric. Or you could figure out the waist-to-bottom hem differential and see if it matches up closely with, say, the Ginger, and then do a Frankenpattern. You might not get the exact same width. Or anyhoo, this is what I suggest having never actually tried it before, so you know, reader beware ...

jessica said...

PS: I was going to say on your last post (really like your first version of the skirt too!) that sometimes when my waistbands pop open between buttons, I add a hook and bar at the offending spot and that does the trick ...

sylkotwist said...

Oh you make me smile! I'm not too sure on the fabric as the Kelly, but I can see why you were attracted to it, there's just something about it. It's good to try out these things, never become safe and boring, your makes are so inspiring!

velosewer said...

Cool skirt. I love this.