Wednesday, March 07, 2012

WIP Wednesday: Bettie's Pullover and other knitterly ideas

This is what I am knitting.
Bettie's Pullover from Interweave Knits Winter 2011.  I am using AlbaYarn in Moody Blue.

My camera cannot "see" this shade of blue, so I have borrowed The Girl's Panasonic, which at least can pick out the stitches.

You will have to take my word for it, that this is a very dark purplish blue with flashes of magenta in strong sunlight.
I have reached the waist shaping, which is done by changing needle sizes, down and then up again.

I have memorised the stitch pattern so this has turned out to be my "easy" knitting project, and the Portti Sukat Socks are in hibernation.

It is a very stretchy pattern, so size 34 is exactly that, unstretched.  It feels enormous after Betty Jean!

Picture from SkeinQueen website
I have lots of other knitting plans buzzing round my head at the moment.  The impending arrival of the latest Knit Now magazine led to an impulsive kit purchase from SkeinQueen, to make the Bunty Mitts on the cover.

The kit also comes in a naked / cranberry / moss colourway... but you know how I feel about orange!

It's very Orla Kiely, don't you think?

Oh - and owl-fans?  Check out the SkeinQueen's owl-shaped needle gauges! Whoot!

I am trying really hard not to cast on another shawl.  But you know how it is...!  I have some gorgeous grey merino/silk mix in the stash which would make a fantastic Grey Gardens Shawl.  I might save that project for the Easter holidays.

16 comments:

Clare said...

Oh, those mittens are be-yoo-tiful! Happy knitting.

Kate said...

I will be watching your Bettie progress! Those mitts are gorgeous - saw them on Ravelry earlier and might just have to buy a British knitting magazine for the first time in ages!

Kestrel said...

Pretty mitts - very orla indeed. Love the colour of the yarn for your cardo too.

Kat said...

I love the colour of your pullover yarn...and how cute are those needle gauges! I'm such a sucker for anything with owls on!

didyoumakethat said...

Oh, I love those mittens. Very 1970s, I thought but you're right - also, very Orla. Good luck with your lovely knitting! I don't know how you get it all done. It takes me about six months to knit a cardie.

Christine Laennec said...

I am watching your progress with Bettie's pullover very closely! It's strange that the sweater is so loose, because the photograph in the magazine shows it to be close-fitting.

Donna said...

Love those mittens - they'll be beautiful in your colors!

Andrea said...

I've got Bettie's pullover in my queue, yarn and needles ready to go. Looking forward to seeing your finished version for inspiration.

Sigrid said...

I have my eye on that sweater too, so I will interested to see what it looks like.

Lori (habubrat) said...

Beautiful and love it!

Lynne said...

I like the idea of using smaller needles for the waist shaping on Bettie's pullover, and it's a lovely pattern. Good luck with the rest of it.

I LOVE the Bunty Mitts, very 70s in a groovy way! :)

Sølvi said...

I´m loving both the pullover and the mitts.:-)

And I agree with Lynne, that is a clever idea to do the waist shaping by changing the needle size!

Shannon said...

Oooohhh, that's a fun wavy pattern - very pretty!

Scruffybadger said...

The blue knitting is delicious - what a lovely colour & calming pattern ..... and I love those glovies - they really are Orla-ish aren't they.
I have been given Weekend Hats ...since they all seem to involve circular needles, I am purely gazing & planning. Just as well since I have a cardigan to knit!

Alessa said...

What a lovely wave pattern, and that blue with a shimmer of red looks so pretty!

I love the retro look of the mitts! :)

Evie said...

Bettie's pullover is on my to do list. It's too adorable for words. I LOVE your colour choice and am sitting by my laptop waiting to see you version. ;-)