Tuesday, August 02, 2011

FO: Colette Ginger in UV Light

I have a Ginger skirt! (Insert parade of cartwheeling cheerleaders here.)





The first thing you need to know about this project is that it is a lucky fluke.
By rights, you ought to be looking at a crumpled heap of fabric at the bottom of my wheelie bin, as I sob in the bog.



Fact One: I had less than a yard of fabric and a pattern recommended for 1 1/2 yards.

Fact Two: I cut out a Size 2, despite measuring in at 4.

Fact Three: I totally disregarded the instructions concerning something called an "invisible zipper".

Fact Four: I didn't even try it on until I had snipped the last stray thread and put the sewing machine away.



This is what Colette Ginger looks like on 85cm of fabric. I cut a size 2 because that was the biggest size I could squeeze into the space available.


I cut it out and sewed the first few seams on holiday. But I had to stop when I discovered there was no iron to fuse the interfacing to the waistband.


Stats:

Pattern: Colette 1016, Ginger. I made View 1 in Size 2 (but took 1 cm seams to hedge my bets!)Fabric: 85cm of cotton corduroy from Edinburgh Fabrics, bought a year ago to make a pair of baby dungarees. It is a lovely quality of fabric. The colour is best described as "ultraviolet" - a very light lavender blue, which in my opinion looks amazing in North light. The Girl will hate it: I am prepared for this ;)



Other notions: a 10 inch zip, because the shop didn't have a 9-incher, and a length of Liberty-print bias binding leftover from my 50's twinset.

The Sewing Experience:

I was so keen to get on with stitching, that I couldn't be bothered booting up the laptop to find out how to install an invisible zipper.


As a result, the subsequent instructions to finish the waistband made no sense to me whatsoever. The phrase "counter-intuitive" is guaranteed to bring me out in a rash, so I just carried on and sewed the skirt "as usual". And I had to think about it.



For this reason, I would question the grading of this pattern as suitable for a "Beginner". Though... perhaps a beginner would be less arrogant and would take the time to check the web as instructed... and therefore find the process a total breeze.

But I don't have a special "invisible zip foot" so I saw no point in confusing myself.

Shrug.

The cord had a tendency to fray, so I used bias binding to face the hem. This also allowed me to turn it up by only 1 cm.

It is interesting to note that this skirt is considerably shorter in its smallest sizes. If you are tall and slim, take care to check the length before you start. As it happens, I think this length is just right for me... but I am only 5 foot 3, so beware!



Verdict?


I love it to bits!



It was immediately obvious to me that this is no ordinary a-line skirt pattern. It has curves where curves are needed. Unlike every other a-line skirt I have made, it drapes beautifully. (Oops - this picture was taken after a day at work and it is looking a bit creased!)


The waistband options are really interesting and I intend to try all three.


The waist comes up pretty high, but it seems to work at this height. It remains comfortable when I sit down - woo hoo!


It is a sufficiently well-drafted pattern to look good in a plain fabric, while having the simplicity to show off a mad print to full advantage. I will have no hesitation in snapping up some gorgeous tangerine wool for a winter version... once I track some down!

In the meantime... I am thinking autumnal fungi! ; )


Styling notes:

I wore this outfit to work yesterday! No one said a word... chickens!

Lisette Portfolio top, blogged here.

Japanese pattern jacket, blogged here.

Grandma's fake jet beads and black glass earrings from John Lewis.

Fishnets.

Kickers shoes - rediscovered during Me-Made-June :)

23 comments:

ashley0107 said...

Ooh, its gorgeous! I love the colour! And if I tried to make a skirt with all of your facts, it would be a massive fail. You are one lucky lady! :)
Ashley x

RooKnits said...

Absolutely fabulous... the perfect A Line skirt :o)

Kat said...

Oooh I love it. The colour is gorgeous too. Go you for making a fantastic skirt when all the odds were stacked against you e.g minimal fabric! I have seen this pattern floating around a lot and you may just have convinced me to put it on my wish list :)

shivani said...

it's really lovely! and I am so loving the simplicity blouse that I've just ordered the pattern right now!

the scary sounding instructions re the invisible zipper are actually pretty amazing - I was a bit "wha?", but now I want to do all my zips like that. And I hate inserting zips.

x

Debi said...

LOVE the skirt! The colour is just fantastic and I love the waistband detail! I love how projects work out! YAY!

didyoumakethat said...

Wow, you were lucky with the fitting. I love that colour, too. Can't beat a lovely cord skirt.

Scruffybadger said...

I love your approach! "1.5m- "pah"! I'll squeeze it out of half that" - sounds like me! It's worked out brilliantly though - really like it & am interested in your "need" for it. I am resisting still (but do have the Portfolio pattern now!) As for invisible zips - guess who's just gone machine feet shopping?! Woo hoo!

Lucette said...

The whole outfit looks fabulous on you. Curious to know more about how and where you used the bias trim. I am into bias right now.

Sigrid said...

I guess resistance to the Ginger is impossible now. This color is so appealing too !

Roobeedoo said...

Lucette - the bias trim is along the inside of the bottom hem, covering the raw turned-up edge.

Sigrid - resistance is futile! ;)

Jane said...

YAY!!!!!! It's lovely, the shape is perfect on you and the colour is fab. I bet you're really smug having used up your tiny bit of cord for this skirt - and so you should be! I'd like to take bets on how many different versions you'll make, I estimate at least three. x

Kestrel said...

I love it, the colour is fab and the fit and shape look great. I think this is another Colette Patterns item I need to add to my list.

Ozzy Blackbeard said...

It's gorgeous!! Wow to the sizing and making! :)

Minnado said...

It looks lovely on you and so much better use of the fabric than a pair of baby dungarees! I can see Ginger makes a very fab skirt and am looking forward tio seeing more versions! I like your attitude cutting it out of the amount of fabric you had.

Marion said...

Delurking to say:
1) Love your blog.Very inspiring.
2) This skirt is lovely.
3) From your blog pictures I had imagined you as really tall so your real height was a surprise!

Joy said...

This turned out beautiful! The color is lovely and the fit looks really good.

christinelaennec said...

That is one swell skirt! I particularly love the waistband, and the colour. Please take more photos of it in the Northern Light(s).

Caroline said...

Brilliant! I love your blatant disregard of instructions... Sometimes the best way is just to go for it!

Roobeedoo said...

Hee! So many lovely comments! Thank you!
:D

faeriecollege said...

Splendid, as always!

Now, 2 things:
1) Does the Girl have to wear it? No? Then hate on, girly, and suck it up because your mummy looks fab.
2) THANK YOU for the warning about the length on the small sizes. I'll have to buy extra fabric. Because guess what, I FINALLY GOT A SEWING MACHINE OF MY OWN! So excited. It's all down to you, you know. Your blog helped convince my mother to donate her spare machine to me.

Roobeedoo said...

faeriecollege: Ooh! A sewing machine! I can't wait to see what you make! :)
And yes - the girl can wear dark glasses if she needs to be seen in public with me wearing this!

Segwyne said...

I am so glad you got the size you needed, but it looks to me like you could have gotten a larger size if you had needed it. It is admittedly difficult to tell by looking at the pictures, but if it is laid out as I think, you could have placed piece C or F under piece B and the other under piece A and taken advantage of the taper of the design. Cut out A, then fold over the other edge to cut B. It would fold more than half-way over, which is why you would need to cut out one before laying out the other, but you can take advantage of the taper. Also, if there is no nap (which it looks like there isn't, you can also improve fabric-efficiency by spinning one piece so they dovetail. The layout provided in the pattern isn't always the most efficient.

Great job on working with what you had! It looks fabulous.

Segwyne said...

I meant above piece A.