Friday, July 29, 2011

West Coast Time



For seven days, our lives slowed down so much we lost track of time.


There was the occasional walk across a deserted beach.



There were wonderful meals in remote Inns, where we had the surprise of meeting Other People. Where there was bustle and noise and music and laughter.


But most of the time, we had complete peace.




I came to realise how many hours a day my dear FL spends fast asleep. And the sheer effort involved in climbing a short flight of stairs.


I started the week with such plans, such plans for sewing...
skirts, trousers, a blouse? But... there was no iron in the cottage!


So I sat and I thought about it for a while. And realised there was no rush. There was no rush, and there was perfect peace.



So I picked up my sock and I knitted. And I knitted some more. Days passed. Perfect sunny days spent sitting in a sun porch with a view of the still blue sea.


I did a little bit of sewing... and I will show you that another day.



But mostly my days were counted in rows.


And lines were written in my journal.


Sketches were drawn.

I baked bread and I sprouted snow peas.


There was no TV, no telephone, no demands on our time other than the ones we created for ourselves.


A perfect holiday at the House With The Red Gate.

11 comments:

Sigrid said...

Thanks for the reminder that sometimes doing very little is the most important thing that can be done.

ashley0107 said...

It sounds wonderful! And the photo of your FL is adorable!
Ashley x

christinelaennec said...

I would have found it very challenging to have my sewing plans scuppered - I admire your philosophical poise. I echo Sigrid's thanks for the reminder of the benefits of having some non-goal-oriented time. I'm so glad you had a good week. I was hoping you were having gorgeous weather!

RooKnits said...

bliss x

jenibrown said...

that sounds wonderful Roo - what a lovely reminder to just be here and now. Beautifully expressed, and lovely photos.

Lizzi said...

Bless!

Minnado said...

The beach looks so beautiful. Sounds like a calming and relaxing break.

Sandy said...

How delightful to have peace... to be together in such a calming place. Glad your trip was all you wanted it to be and loved all the photos!

cindy said...

Sound like a special time for both of you.

I love your sock yarn. What pattern are you knitting.

Roobeedoo said...

Thanks everyone! Cindy - that's the Dotty pattern by irishgirlieknits. I will be blogging the finished socks tomorrow!

cindy said...

I love the eyelets in the socks. Looks like it must be easy. I'll have to find the pattern.