Sunday, July 31, 2011

FO: Seventies Hooded Tee, McCalls 4322


This is what I sewed on holiday!

There was no iron in our holiday cottage, but I was determined to sew something. Luckily, I had cut out this t-shirt cotton top before we set off, and had stuffed it into my bag at the last minute, just in case I finished my Ginger skirt marathon - ha!



Cotton jersey doesn't require the same degree of pressing as cotton twill, so I managed to put this top together in a couple of afternoons.




Stats:

Pattern: McCall's 4322 from 1974, on vintage patten wiki here. From an Etsy seller for £1.80. Size: Small (10-12)

Fabric: One metre of white cotton jersey from my local fabric shop, Butterfly Fabrics in Inverurie. I think it was £5.99. I had to shorten it by an inch to get all the pieces onto one metre, because I am mean like that ; )


The sewing experience:

Surprisingly smooth sailing!


I thought that the double-layered hood would be a beggar to fit to the neck, but it actually went in easily, with no gathering or tweaking or stretching required. I don't know if you can see, but the neckline is part of the hood and crosses over at the front, fitting onto the scooped front section. It is very cleverly oversewn to hold all the layers in place, then trimmed down for a neat finish.


The back has princess seams for added shapeliness.


The sleeves are extensions of the main body pieces, rather like my self-drafted top, but narrower.


I learned from past mistakes and sewed all the seams with Universal Stitch on my Bernina. This is definitely the best stitch for cotton jersey on this machine.


Verdict?

It is a little tighter across the bust than I am used to. But that's how t-shirts were worn in the seventies! I really like the neck shaping and I might make it again in View D, minus the hood, with a rounded collar instead.


But right now I have an appointment with the ironing board to get a Ginger skirt off the starting blocks!

12 comments:

ashley0107 said...

Cute! I love how the hood crosses over at the neckline :)
Ashley x

didyoumakethat said...

I lov it! It looks fun and comforting at the same time. Um, what's a universal stitch?

Kestrel said...

Good job, and looks like a good fit too. Am sure you'll get loads of wear out of it :)

Roobeedoo said...

Universal Stitch is number 4 on my Bernina stitch selection lever thingy! It is described in the Instruction Manual as perfect for stretch knits. You have read your instruction manual haven't you Karen?!

Sandy said...

The vee-neckline with the crossover is quite clever and looks pretty stylish on that skinny model... you are an amazing seamstress to put it all together in such a short time. Great photos!

Scruffybadger said...

I like it lots - it looks really fun & the neckline is adorable. You are on a knit-roll, maybe you deserve an overlocker? ;-)

Can't wait to see the next version!

didyoumakethat said...

Um, yeah, yeah - course! I have it memorised. Um...

Trish said...

hmm. I guess I should review my manual to see if my machine has a similar stitch. Very nice hoodie, though--well done!

Ozzy Blackbeard said...

It's lovely! The neck detail is great. :)

faeriecollege said...

It's fabulous! The perfect ”I’m home and it’s just a bit cold so I’ll throw this on and still look sophisticatedly overdressed to go run those errands” top.

jessica said...

Oooh! I love this one! Looks like it has nice weekend lounging potential on top of being all interesting and cool and stuff =). Oh yes, and a great mix/matcher with those fabulous Gingers you'll be whipping up ;-).

feresaknit said...

i meant to say on my earlier comment NO IRON - slight snigger ! ;D