Thursday, June 16, 2011

FO: 1940's blouse: Style 4820







I have been working on this blouse off and on for a couple of weeks. You might remember I used the pattern once before for my Sandpiper Blouse.





This time, I was planning to run piping down the edges of the central panel, to add more definition, but I wimped out and top-stitched it instead. As a result, you can hardly see the details at all.





Maybe I should have gone the whole hog and used a contrasting fabric for the neck and front band: plain navy perhaps?


Next time!






Stats:



Pattern: Style 4820 from the 1940's, size 34". So much period detail, but you need to zoom in to see it! I didn't put shoulder pads in this time around, as the neck seems to be higher than before and the extra upward boost felt suffocating.




Fabric: 1.5 metres of fine cotton lawn from Croft Mill, here at £6 per metre. It is very soft and drapey, almost a voile. Lovely stuff! I bought it to make a Sencha and then thought the print was too subtle for such a simple top. I was afraid it might look like a pyjama top.



Buttons: 1940's vintage from Clover Crafts and Curios at eeebaaay. You can't see in these pictures, but they are navy with an engraved star which picks up the print in the fabric really well.

Verdict?
It seems very... demure. That high neckline with the tiny print makes me feel like the vicar's wife from a 1940's costume drama! This is not necessarily a bad thing, but I think I need to consider my jewellery options further. I pinned on my dainty bluebird brooch for these pictures, but I might try something louder.




And red lipstick is absolutely essential: without it, I looked about nine years old!


ETA: These pictures look really dark now they are "up". I swear they looked fine last night on the laptop! But I am wearing the blouse today so watch out for some action shots in daylight later today!

3 comments:

christinelaennec said...

It's beautiful, and understatedly elegant. You look far too approachable to be a 1940s vicar's wife, by the way!

liza jane said...

This is lovely. And I agree that it is understated and elegant. Are those pleats at the shoulder? I could see it with some louder jewelry, too.

Roobeedoo said...

Yes there are pleats at the shoulders and again at the waist. It is very hard to photograph - the blue seems to confuse my camera!