Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Roo the Lazy Lard-eater

You may remember that I recently took part in a research study, which set out to examine the effects of workplace stress on eating habits.



Today I received my personal report, and boy oh boy, it makes for interesting if confusing reading!



My initial reaction was indignation, that one week's food intake and activity-level readings were used to make "sweeping assumptions" about my diet and exercise habits. But then I remembered that I had been in control of my life for that week, and that even though I knew my every mouthful and movement was being measured, I did almost nothing to consciously modify my behaviour. I say "almost" because I did do one thing, which will show itself in a moment...



So, what's the verdict on my diet and lifestyle?


Here is a graph which shows that I spend 47.55% of my life sitting on my skinny bottom.



I only managed to muster 2.38% of "vigorous activity" in this average week.



Despite this, I only just scraped into the "normal" category for my Body Mass Index, and have low levels of trunk body fat and visceral fat.



My food intake across the 7 day period averaged 2563 kcal per day, made up of: 38.95% fat, 12.06% protein, 47.65% carbohydrate and 1.34% alcohol (heh!). A healthy diet should contain 30-35% fat, 10-15% protein and the remainder carbohydrate. No alcohol, apparently!



I don't know where they counted the calories I get from sugar: the fruit, the chocolate, the Eat Natural bars...?

My energy balance was 3.51, which means that I took in far more energy that I used up. By rights, if this week was typical, I should be the size of a house by now!

In my dietary defence, I would ask the jury to note that this week was unusual because The Girl was away in London, so FL and I ate the same meals two days running, twice, and those days included his favourites: sausages and roast lamb. Normally, we would only eat these meats once a week and either freeze the leftovers or give them to the dog.

My inactivity level was also skewed by The Girl's absence and bad weather, as I spent my evenings knitting next to FL, and had not yet begun my hour-a-day weeding regime.

This graph shows my activity data across 7 days. But wait a moment... what's that big red spike on Day One, Roo?

Hee hee hee! That would be my quick bounce on the trampoline! The pathetic 0.08% of "very vigorous" activity in my entire week boils down to those few minutes of madness! I was testing the activity monitor, Your Honour.

I also received feedback on the degree of control I exert over myself in respect of food and snacking. The Girl was right! I exhibit very high levels of Restraint and do not appear to experience much Hunger.

But I also tend to eat more after a period of
conscious restraint. I think this means I am the type of person who might be at risk of developing an eating disorder. But I knew that already.

So... what have I learned from all this?
(1) I need to step up my activity levels. There is quite a pleasing red spike at 12.30 every day when I walk up the road to buy my lunch. But I could definitely put more energy into walking the dog instead of ambling along looking for wildflowers. Or worse still, letting FL drive the car up the field with the dog in hot pursuit, and me in the passenger seat - tsk!

(2) My diet isn't too bad, but I could improve it by reducing my fat intake, if that week was typical. I actually think I have made this correction already, with the use of the slow cooker and increased numbers of vegan meals and salads in our weekly menu.

(3) I am not giving up my weekend glasses of wine for anyone, sorry! It is medicinal.

12 comments:

Steph said...

What an interesting report, and a great mirror. Thanks for sharing.

Sigrid said...

Well lard ass, it looks like their energy balance calculation is thrown off by the calorie burning knitting. Actually, hasn't it been determined that individual metabolism plays a pretty huge role in the equation ? Maybe you could drink red wine on a trampoline ?

Debi said...

How interesting! I bet my chart would be totally bizarre--plus each week can potentially differ so much from the rest! Oh and I agree, alcohol is important...I can't believe they don't have a category for it!! :-)

Sandy said...

I find it interesting that their 'jury' failed to weigh in on the home stress, which I am sure the wine keeps from red-lining off the charts!

I have recently lost 7 kilos (since February) just by increasing my walking and reducing my fats... but I don't spend enough time in the garden. By the way, yours looks enchanting... thanks for sharing your report.

didyoumakethat said...

Hurrah! Am so glad this blog post has returned as I particularly wanted to comment on it. Your diet seems really healthy, and I would love to have your metabolism. How fascinating to see what details these things turn up. I demand weekend glasses of wine, too - and the rest!

Siga said...

Yay for sticking to the wine! :)

feresaknit said...

I'd love to see one of these for me.

Glad you explained the 0.08 spike I was wondering.


And B takes two of those Eat Natural bars to work with him. His fav is the one with blueberries. :D

Sandy said...

Sandy has left a new comment on your post "Roo the Lazy Lard-eater":

I find it interesting that their 'jury' failed to weigh in on the home stress, which I am sure the wine keeps from red-lining off the charts!

I have recently lost 7 kilos (since February) just by increasing my walking and reducing my fats... but I don't spend enough time in the garden. By the way, yours looks enchanting... thanks for sharing your report.

Sigrid said...

Well lard ass, it looks like their energy balance calculation is thrown off by the calorie burning knitting. Actually, hasn't it been determined that individual metabolism plays a pretty huge role in the equation ? Maybe you could drink red wine on a trampoline ?

Cathy said...

Hmm well you look fab to me and seem healthy...interesting it was about workplace stress and didnt mention home stress- you have more than your fair share of that.
Never give up knitting or wine!

Debi said...

How interesting! I bet my chart would be totally bizarre--plus each week can potentially differ so much from the rest! Oh and I agree, alcohol is important...I can't believe they don't have a category for it!! :-)

Steph said...

What an interesting report, and a great mirror. Thanks for sharing.