Friday, October 03, 2008

Lace alert!

Oh yes! In case anyone thought I was just a tease, I hereby present the beginnings of my first "real" lace project: the Shetland Triangle from Wrap Style.

This is the Wollmeise superwash merino sock yarn leftover from my Clessidra socks, colour "Veilchen" (violets). It was almost a full skein, so I have plenty of yarn to make this shawl.
I am using 4mm Denise interchangeables and so far I am delighted to report that I am having a great time! Not nearly as much splitting as with tiny ebony dpns (neither of yarn nor needles!) and the texture of the yarn is rather lovely as lace: plenty of drape, soft and yet somehow crisp. I stand by my earlier comment that it feels more like cotton than wool.
I am actually much further on than this photo suggests. I might well be showing off my first finished lace project after the weekend - woo hoo!
I can knit lace! Who knew?!



3 comments:

RooKnits said...

I did! Yipeeeeeeeeee. I can't wait to see the finished item. Have a lovely weekend with your lace knitting. Only two weeks until my Scotland holiday and I'm getting excited :o)

Margaret said...

Congratulations. I have yet to take a dive into the lace pool. I have bought patterns and yarn, but just can't seem to get started.

blue hands said...

That is a truly beautiful colour, but then I am a bit of an indigo freak! i'm another one just waiting to get started on my first lace project. bought some yarn at the knitting and stitching show in September and have had a pattern sitting there for a while, just need to finish my current project and another thing for a birthday in november and i'll be able to go ...!